Italy has extended the nationwide lockdown till April 13 with the rising death toll owing to Coronavirus. Earlier, the lockdown was due to end on April 3; now, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has announced that the lockdown has been extended due to the increasing number of pandemic deaths.

The Prime Minister said, “We have surpassed 13,000 deaths, and this is a wound that pains us especially — it is a wound that will never heal.”

The announcement was made on Wednesday evening. Apparently, the country was under lockdown from March 10 and the same was supposed to end on April 3.

The PM further said that they are not in a condition to relax their restrictive measures yet, and this is why he has signed a new decree that extends the current measures to 13 April. On a positive note, he added that the country is beginning to see the positive effects of the lockdown. And relaxing the lockdown now might mean that the sacrifices made by Italy and the Italians so far would go in vain.

Talking about the future, he explained that the current effort will enable them to assess future prospects. “When the (scientific) data consolidate… we will begin to program a gradual loosening of the restrictions,” he explained.

As per the PM, once the lockdown period ends, there will be phase two and phase three. In Phase Two “we coexist with the virus” and people can adopt measures to loosen the restrictions. It will be followed by phase three when the emergency will be over, and people will resume their social and work lives.

“Phase Three is the phase of reconstruction and the relaunch of our social and economic lives,” he further explained.

As of now, Italy accounts for the highest number of COVID-19 deaths at 13,915, which is increasing day by day while positive cases in Italy stand at 115,242 as of now.

Source Article